Hair loss is a common problem that individuals from all over the world may have to deal with. Illness, genetics, age, and a variety of other factors can contribute to it. But did you ever consider that you may be exacerbating your hair loss in ways you don't even realize? Both men and women are affected by hair loss equally but by changing certain habits, you may notice your hair loss slow or stop altogether. Eliminating unhealthy behaviors in your day to day life may be the first step towards finding a hair loss solution.
Common Causes Of Hair Loss
Some factors that result in hair loss are inevitable; certain individuals are predisposed to hair loss more so than others. These include
- Illness such as trichotillomania, alopecia, different cancers, liver and kidney failure, and thyroid issues, among other illnesses
- Hormone disorders in women such as PCOS, menopause, and pregnancy
- Prescription medicine and treatments, such as chemotherapy
6 Reasons You May Be Experiencing Hair Loss
While some causes of hair loss are unavoidable, many people deal with hair loss due to an unhealthy lifestyle or unhealthy hair habits.
- Unhealthy growing environments can play a big part in hair loss. If your hair is constantly suffocated either through tight hairstyles such as updos or concealed under a hat or scarf, hair follicles can't breath which can hinder growth and can even stop growth altogether.
- Hair mistreatment can be harsh on the hair in the form of heat, chemicals, or wrong products being applied. Some people report hair loss after trying a new product not designed for their hair or from overuse of dyes or styling tools. In order to maintain your hair's health, use products that are targeted to your hair type (i.e., thin, brittle, natural, etc,) and give your hair a break from frequently coloring, perming, relaxing, and styling.
- Proper hygiene will ensure your hair stays as healthy as possible. Practicing good hair habits can make all the difference to somebody experiencing hair loss. Improperly washing your hair, lack of washing, and over-washing can all clog hair follicles and cause breakage. Finding how often you need to wash your hair is different from person to person, but washing with a good quality shampoo and conditioner and ensuring all product is rinsed can help slow hair loss.
- Poor sleep environments can hinder hair growth and cause it to fall out prematurely. Our hair does the most growing when we are asleep, but if your hair is being tugged, tangled, and tousled at night you may notice the opposite of what you're looking for. For those with long hair, braiding hair loosely to keep it from getting unruly can help preserve the integrity.
- An unhealthy diet. Just like your body, your hair needs vitamins and nutrients to stay in tip-top shape. If your body isn't nourished with good foods, it fails to perform where it should and the same goes for your hair. Ingesting large amounts of alcohol, caffeine, and sugar can be detrimental to the health of your hair. Eating plenty of fresh fruits, veggies, and proteins will help give your hair the boost it needs to look its best.
- Overall health is important in stopping hair loss. Making sure you get enough sleep, avoiding substance abuse, exercising regularly, and avoiding stressors as much as you can will drastically help the health of your hair.
You don't have to settle for hair loss, there are custom solutions out there for you. At Hair Professionals, we strive to help individuals experiencing hair loss in the West Palm Beach area. If you are interested in taking the first step to hair restoration, contact us for a consultation. We look forward to speaking with you!